Saturday, August 29, 2009

Food

I have always had the ability to cook, and wasn’t too bad at it. However, I never got pleasure from cooking until the past couple years. Isik has been my inspiration to explore the culinary world. His mother is a culinary goddess. The filo dough made from scratch, baklava, dohmas, lamb, rice, and everything else she touches is magical to the taste buds. In all my life I had never truly experienced culinary greatness until I sat at Anne’s (“mother” in Turkish) table the first time.

I no longer use the rice cooker to make rice, I cook it in a pot on the stove and now I add spices and expand the plain rice to something greater. This has been my most accomplished culinary achievement (to some it might seem simple). I follow recipes the first time and then expand on them. Sometimes they don’t turn out so great, but I’m learning and expanding my cuisine.

My ultimate reward is when Isik puts the fist bite in his mouth and his shoulders relax, his eyes close, and he says, “This is great.” To have him get pleasure from the food I cook, after being raised with the incredible meals made by his mother, is exceptionally gratifying for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment